The Sir Bani Yas Challenge
March 29-30, 2018
1. Where is Sir Bani Yas Island?
The island is about 180 KM from Abu Dhabi (straight line) and about 270 KM from Dubai (straight line).
2. How to get to Sir Bani Yas?
Buses will be provided from Abu Dhabi and Dubai for the participants to go to Sir Bani Yas once they register.
3. How long is the drive?
From Abu Dhabi it is about 2.5 hours to Jebal Dhanna Ferry point
From Dubai its about 4 hours to Jebal Dhanna Ferry point
From Damam/Khubar it is about 5 hours to Jebal Dhanna Ferry point
4. How long is the Ferry ride? Is it included in the price?
The ferry ride is about 30 minutes and it is included as part of the package.
5. Can I drive to Jebal Dhanna on my own?
Yes you can, you just need to let us know in advance so we book you a seat on the ferry. People on the bus will be automatically booked on the ferry. If you are driving from Abu Dhabi or Dubai, you’ll want to take highway 11 heading toward Al Ghuwaifat/Saudi Arabia border and take the turn toward Jebal Dhanna and all the way to the Sir Baniyas Island ferry. This is where you can park your car. From there, you will take the passenger ferry to SBY.
If you are driving from Khubar/Bahrain you head toward UAE border. Once you pass the border you are on highway 11 heading toward Abu Dhabi. You will take the Jebal Dhanna exit and then head towards the Sir Baniyas Island ferry.
6. Can I bring my own Kayak or Mountain Bike?
Transportation and logistics to the island are difficult, we will provide everyone with kayaks and mountain bikes. If you would like to bring your own mountain bike, please contact us and we will talk to you about the options. It's not possible to bring your own kayak.
7. Can I get discount for bringing my own tent and my own food?
The package includes food and camp. Bringing your own energy bar is OK but you will not be allowed to cook/light a fire in the camp.
8. Can I arrive Friday early morning?
The answer is No, ferries from Jebal Dhanna to SBY island will be no operating Friday morning, and therefore you can not make it to the challenge.
9. What is the minimum age for participating in the race?
12 years old is the minimum age.
10. How many exit points are on the challenge course?
There are 5 exit points along the challenge course, the 5 exits points are at the following markers:
1. 6 KM point (biking segment) at Al Yamm resort
2. 12 KM point (biking segment) at Desert Island resort
3. 26 KM point (switch from biking to running). You will have to wait for the shuttle to take you to Al Sahil resort and it could take time.
4. 36 KM point (switch from running to biking) at Al Sahil resort
5. 47 KM point (switch from biking to kayaking). You will have to wait for the shuttle to take you to the Sir Bani Yas Camp and it could take time.
11. What if my child wants to exit and I want to continue?
You are responsible for your child under 18 years old, so you will have to exit with them if they decide to exit.
12. What will happen when I exit the challenge?
You will have to wait to be transported back to camp and will be counted as not completing the challenge.
13. What if I want to exit but not at the assigned exit points?
Exiting outside the assigned exit points is for emergencies only. If you are tired and you don’t want to continue, you will have to make your way to the nearest exit point. The emergency response team will only react to medical conditions or injuries.
14. Will there be a medical team at the event?
Yes, there will be a medical team along the challenge path to respond to any emergencies.
15. When is the earliest I can go back to camp?
The earliest you can return to camp is 2 PM. You can spend your time at any of the 3 resorts on the island, Al Yamm, Desert island or Al Sahil before that time.
16. What if I want to buy lunch or any other service from the hotels?
That will be dependent on the hotel availability and timing and we have no influence on it. It will also be at your own expenses and is not covered as part of the challenge package.
17. What if my bike breaks down along the trail?
There will be a support truck with extra bikes, it will slow you down a little but we will hopefully manage to get you a new bike soon.
18. What if decided to stay an extra night?
If you plan to stay on the island an extra night, you will have to make your own arrangements with the hotel. The team will not be able to help you with booking. If you don’t have a booking confirmation with you, you will be asked to leave the island after the completion of the challenge on Friday night.
19. Is transportation available on Saturday for those who are staying Friday night?
Transportation is NOT provided Saturday, and you will have to arrange your return with the hotel.
20. What time am I expected to be back home?
The journey back will take 3-4 hours to AD and about 4-5 hours to Dubai. Expect a late-night return depend on what bus you will be catching.
21. When is the earliest bus leaving on Friday?
The earliest bus will take off at 6 PM on Friday which means participants who wish to take that bus will miss dinner and the awarding ceremony.
22. Are bathrooms and showers available at the camp?
Yes, there are bathrooms and showers available at the camp. They are public and available for all the participants, so you may have to wait in line to use them, please be patient.
23. What do I need to bring with me?
· For the challenge we recommend sportswear/synthetic shirts
· For the challenge we recommend trail running shoes and NOT HIKING BOOTS.
· For the camp we recommend you bring the following:
i. Sleeping bag
ii. Change of clothes for the dinner on Friday.
iii. Sandals for walking around the camp
iv. Hat and sunscreen
v. Towel and shampoo/soap.
vi. PJ to sleep on Thursday night.
vii. Power bank charger for your devices.
viii. Swim suite (The camp is on the beach).
24. Is there a cell reception in the island?
Yes there is good coverage around the island. Some blind spots along the trail will have weak or no signal but for very short distance.
25. Can I bring my drone to the island?
Drone filming is not allowed on the island without prior permission. So the answer is NO unfortunately.