The Jebal Shams Challenge
April 27-29, 2017
Husaak Adventures announces an activity for true adventure seekers: the Jebal Shams Challenge. Whether you're a beginner and would like to experience the beauty of nature at your own pace, or a competitive spirit who aims for summits, this will be a fun experience for all. This is a chance for people of all ages and fitness levels to walk up Jebal Shams at their own speed with the presence of qualified Husaak guides.
Jebal Shams is the highest peak in the Arabian Gulf and is well maintained, marked and considered one of the safest treks in the area. Join us and have fun with other adventure seekers and hiking enthusiasts. The challenge is to reach the summit and hike back down safely. $3,000 US Dollars in prize money will be awarded to the first male and female who reaches the summit ($1,500 for the first male, and $1,500 for the first female).
The hike will be roughly 10 KM uphill and 10 KM downhill.
For Jebal Shams Challenge registration click on the link below:
For questions you can contact us on email@example.com
For live support you can contact us on WhatsApp +96599635414
Registration & Fees:
We are pleased to announce 3 packages this year with our Jebal Shams Partner Sama Heights Resort
• Premium Package (Only 10 available): (220 KD or 280 OMR) - includes a shared double room (2 people) and private bathroom.
• Deluxe Package: (190 KD or 240 OMR) (includes a shared permanent tent or a bungalow (2 people) with a private bathroom.
• Basic Package: (150 KD or 190 OMR) Single or (shared tents upon request) or single outdoor cot (your sleeping bag) and shared outdoor community bathroom (Shower facilities are available but you have to wait for your turn).
All packages include transportation from Muscat to Jebal shams, lodging at Sama Heights Jebal Shams for Thursday & Friday nights 27 and 28 April, food and beverages for the entire stay. Details on F&B below.
We also have a Day Pass option for those who don't want transportation or accommodation and will make their own way to Jebal Shams and don't want to stay in the resort. The cost is 75 Omani Rials and you get the following:
1. Race registration and bib
2. You will be qualified for the prize if you win
3. Welcome package (bag, t-shirt, etc)
4. Breakfast, lunch pack and dinner at camp for Friday only
To get a day pass, contact us on WhatsApp +965 99635414
What changed since LAST YEAR?
- New hotel management company.
- New remodeled rooms and renovated resort.
- 5 new luxurious Grand Chalets with outside seating and a private fire place (Premium Package).
- 5 Mountain view rooms (Premium Package).
- New chef and kitchen staff.
- Additional outdoor facilities for campers.
What will be available during the challenge?
- Foot massage service at an extra charge
- Large bonfire
- Tea, coffee and hot chocolate available at all times.
- DJ and music Friday night
Food & Beverage:
- Full buffet dinner on Thursday & grills will be served Friday nights.
- Light breakfast will be served Friday & full breakfast on Saturday morning.
- Lunch/Snack bag will be provided for all challenge participants on Friday
- No alcohol is served or allowed during the event
Husaak Center - There will be a Husaak team representative who will welcome you, conduct your initial check-in and will lead you to your bus.
What is available at the Husaak Center?
- Shower facilities (Male & Female)
- A place to rest before/after the trip
- Quiet room/Meeting room/socializing area
- Place where you can leave your extra luggage
- 10 minutes from the airport, 5 minutes from Muscat Grand mall
Location of the Husaak Center?
Intersection of 18th of November and Al Izdehar St, By the Bangladish School
Or you can look through Google Map (Husaak Center)
- Start point at base camp (Roughly ~5000 ft)
- Hike up to the roof of Jebal Shams at roughly ~10,000’ and back
- Total distance ~20 KM up & down
- Different fitness levels are welcomed
- 10 Guides stations along the path
- Rest station at 5 KM
- You can turn around at any point
- Always carry your headlights with you and be ready to walk back in the dark.
- Dinner on Thursday & Friday nights for all participants
- Challenge open for children starting from 8 years old.
- Any children below 18 years old must be accompanied by their parent and can not register on their own.
- Kids below the age of 12 will not be allowed to pass station 5. They can rest there and wait if the parents decide to continue further.
What do you need to bring?
- Hiking boots with ankle support (This is required for all participants).
- Headlight with batteries.
- Sleeping bag (For Basic package participants only) - Sleeping Matt will be helpful
Nice to have:
- Hiking pole
- Sun screen
- Pair of sandals or walking shoes for the camp
- External chargers
- Light rain jacket
- Thermals (it gets cold at night)
What will you carry during the challenge?
We will provide:
You will be provided with a small backpack with:
- Lunch bag.
- Water bottles (2 large bottles 1.5 liters that you have to carry as a minimum).
- Basic Map of Jebal Shams and stations closing time.
- Emergency contacts card.
- Challenge T-shirt
- JEBAL SHAMS CHALLENGE MEDAL.
What you need to put inside the bag (Not provided)?
- A light jacket
- Headlights with extra batteries
- Any other personal items
- 12:00 PM: 1st Bus leaving Husaak Center– ETA Jebal Shams at 4 PM
- 01:30 PM: 2nd Bus leaving Husaak Center - ETA Jebal Shams at 5:30 PM
- 03:00 PM: 3rd Bus leaving Husaak Center - ETA Jebal Shams at 7 PM
- 04:30 PM: 4th bus leaving Husaak Center – ETA Jebal Shams at 8:30 PM
- 06:00 PM: 5th Bus leaving Husaak Center - ETA Jebal Shams at 10 PM
- 08:00 PM: 4th Bus leaving Husaak Center - ETA Jebal Shams at 12 AM*
(Participants on the last bus will not be served dinner in the resort and will have to get their own dinner from airport/Muscat)
NOTE 1: Welcome/Registration/orientation for participants by Husaak & resort team upon arrival at the lodge.
NOTE 2: 07:00 PM Dinner will be served in the resort.
NOTE 3: There is no arranged transportation out of Muscat after the 8 PM bus. Participants can arrange for their own transportation as long as they are at the meeting point in Jebal Shams before Friday the 28th at 6:30 AM sharp start.
- 05:00 AM: Wake participants up – Quick breakfast
- 06:00 AM: At the start line – Warm up & Welcome speech by Ali
- 06:30 AM: Start of the race
- 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM you should be reaching the summit
- LAST YEAR RECORD WAS ~2 hours to the summit.
- 03:00 PM to 04:00 PM reaching back to the camp.
- 07:00 PM Grilled meals will be served starting at 6 PM
- Fire, music, hot chocolate, tea, will be served on the fire.
- 07:00 AM- 09:00 AM breakfast
- 9 AM Check out/Pack
- At 9:00 AM Vehicles will leave in batches of 100 people at a time with 1 hour & 30 minutes between each batch so enjoy Jebal Shams resort and bring a book to read or a camera to take photos
Expected arrival time depend on which batch you are on, between 2 PM to 5 PM on Saturday